This call is closed
CITED: Masterpiece and Memento II | Curated by David Kaye
Curated by David Kaye
Opening Reception: Thurs. May 31st, 6:30 – 9:30PM'
Wednesday May 9th @ 11 PM
Propeller gallery presents our much-anticipated annual guest curated exhibition! Each year Propeller invites a prominent figure within the arts community to contribute their knowledge and experience in developing a theme and selecting works for a completely unique exhibition. This year we have the great pleasure of hosting Toronto-based curator and gallerist David Kaye of David Kaye Gallery!
CITED: Masterpiece and Memento II
“In 1998 I was asked to curate an exhibition with the Harbourfront Studio Residents. I asked the artists to think of an iconic image that would best represent them once they had reached their ‘ultimate due-date’. Twenty years later the importance of this issue continues to resonate with all of us. In conjunction with this earlier concept, I also want to build on last year’s exhibition theme - The Annual Guest Curated Exhibition by Olga Korper and Taiga Lipson, entitled ‘Live Longer, Piss Off Your Heirs’. These curators suggested that by living longer you might “piss off your heirs.” With these two issues in mind, I hope the premise of the current exhibition continues the conversation started in last year’s works.
For this exhibition, I am asking how, you, the artist in this equation, would wish to be remembered in the future by generations to come? What artwork, to date, from your oeuvre would you choose to be remembered by in perpetuity? What would the ‘brand’ message be? What form would the memento (e.g., smaller version of your signature piece) take – the object that would allow all viewers to share in a form that highlights your illustrious career? Why not take control now and inform your estate executives how you wish to be immortalized! Will it be a few special ideas/objects or endless production-runs as dictated by popular demand?
Please propose the ‘masterpiece’ of your career that would be exhibited along with a small-run production of the ‘mementos’ that will keep you forever in the Art spotlight and hopefully make your heirs truly happy.”
– David Kaye
David H. Kaye holds an A.O.C.A. from the Ontario College of Art (1972), a B.A. from the University of Guelph (1978) and an M.F.A. from the Cranbrook Academy of Art (1980). He managed Prime Gallery, Toronto from 1984 to 2002. He worked at Bau-Xi Gallery, Toronto from 2002 to 2006. He then opened the DAVID KAYE GALLERY, Toronto in April of 2006 to exhibit objects and painting.
· Name, address, email, phone number.
· Artist Statement and CV.
· One image per submission, with a maximum of three artworks submitted (2000 pixels on the longest edge @72dpi) please include ALL accurate label information (title, date, medium, dimensions, value).
· Short narrative text to accompany work(s) (maximum 500 words).
· Video links will be accepted.
· You agree to allow us to use your submission material, without compensation, in a potential catalogue/publication of this exhibition.
· Submission fee: $45 CDN for the first entry, $25 for each additional entry (*please note, submission fees are non-refundable).
Submission deadline: Wednesday May 9th @ 11PM
Exhibition dates: May 30 – June 17
Artwork drop-off: Sunday May 27th, 5 – 7PM
Opening reception: Thurs. May 31st, 6:30-9:30PM
Artwork pick-up: Sunday June 17th, 5 – 7PM
25% commission will be collected on any work sold as a result of this exhibition.
You agree to allow us to use your submission material, without compensation, in any potential catalogue/publication of this exhibition
Artist’s who are selected will be contacted by email. Delivery instructions will be given at that time.
For more information visit our website: www.propellerctr.com
Please direct inquiries to:
- closes on
- Wed May 9, 2018 11:59 pm EDT
- Propeller Gallery
30 Abell Street
Toronto, Ontario, M6J 0A9
- contact Name
- Nathan Heuvingh
- contact Position
- Gallery Director
- Exhibition dates
30th May 2018
17th Jun 2018
$47.63 CAD - 1st image
$26.63 CAD - per additional image
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Ceramics
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Fibre
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Glass
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Jewellery
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Metal
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Wood
- Digital Media
- Two Dimensional Mixed Media
- multiple submission
- Multiples, maximum of 3 images per submission.