This call is closed
A Portrait Gallery
A Portrait Gallery
While Canada’s National Portrait Gallery project may have stopped, Propeller steps into the spaces left by its termination. We’re doing a portrait show! Artists from Auerbach to Zurbaran, and from antiquity to A.I, have made portraits -- images of the human form and face, either familiar or mythic. There have been paintings, sculptures, monuments to historic figures, animal pictures, self-portraits, images of the trials of living, and the rewards of perseverance... And photographs, so many important, powerful photographic portraits. All media are welcome, and push the boundaries of portraiture, as you see them. Add your contribution to the enduring dialogue of portraiture, at Propeller in Toronto.
DEADLINE: THURSDAY APRIL 19th
Jury members include: Dr. David Griffin (OCAD University), Frances Patella (BFA, B.ED, OSA), and media artist Anthony Saad. Accepted works will be announced on Tuesday April 24th 2018.
· Name, address, email, phone number.
· Artist Statement and CV
· One image per submission, with a maximum of two artworks submitted (2000 pixels on the longest edge @72dpi)
· Description of submitted image(s)/artwork(s) (200-500 words)
· Video links will be accepted.
· Artwork should be ready to hang.
· By submitting you agree to allow us to use your submission material, without compensation, in any catalogue/publication of this exhibition.
· Submission fee: $50 (HST included) (*please note, submission fees are non-refundable)
Exhibition dates: May 2 - 13
Deadline: Thursday April 19, 2018
Drop off: Sunday April 29, 5 - 7 pm * Unwrap work & take home wrapping.
Opening reception: Saturday May 5, 2018, 2 – 5 pm.
Pick-up: Sunday May 13th, 5 – 7 pm
25% commission will be collected on any work sold as a result of this exhibition for non-members, 20% commission will be collected for any work sold for Propeller members. For more information visit the gallery's website: www.propellerctr.com.
Works on canvas
Generally, your canvas should be stretched - no loose canvas. If you work is on unstretched canvas, please provide hanging material and detailed hanging instructions.
Works on paper
Should be delivered flat to the gallery - not rolled in a mailing tube. Your works on paper should either be framed, matted or backed with a solid material such as foamcore. As an alternative, you should provide hanging material and detailed instructions.
Works on Mylar and other soft materials
Similar to works on paper, if your work requires specific handling, please consider providing hanging material and detailed hanging instructions.
We cannot guarantee a monitor for any video works. Artists must be prepared to supply one if required/necessary.
Propeller will take 20% member commission and 25% non-member commission on sales made during the exhibition.
The artists whose work is selected will be contacted by email. Delivery instructions will be given at that time.
Please direct inquiries to:
- closes on
- Thu April 19, 2018 11:30 pm EDT
- Propeller Gallery
30 Abell Street
Toronto, Ontario, M6J 0A9
- contact Name
- Nathan Heuvingh
- contact Position
- Gallery Director
- Exhibition dates
2nd May 2018
13th May 2018
- $50.00 CAD per submission
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Ceramics
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Fibre
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Glass
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Jewellery
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Metal
- Decorative/Applied Arts - Wood
- Digital Media
- Two Dimensional Mixed Media
- multiple submission
- One image or document file per submission only.
- Allow Document Files Upload
- Yes, PDF, Doc, Docx, Xls, Odt files...etc are allowed in the submission